- Vet EN
The practice will help you in thesis writing and in publication later on. In order to achieve this it will develop the following skills:
– literature searching and using different information sources;
– knowledge of different types of scientific publications (types of documents, ethics of publication, citations);
– evaluation and handling of scientific information.
Practical lessons theme
Basiscs of information searching:
- types of documents and their characteristics,
- types of databases and their structure,
- building a search strategy (Boolean operators, thesaurus)
- searching the library catalogues,
- searching databases(CAB Abstracts, FSTA, PubMed, Web of Science),
- scientific search engines: Google Scholar.
Information sources on the internet:
- full-text articles and books (Science Direct, SpringerLink, EBSCO, e-books and e-collections),
- expert systems: Consultant, CadDis.
Evaluation of homepages and publications, their structure and processing;
- criteria of evaluation,
- reference managing softwares in gathering literature and compiling bibliographies.
Fundamentals of scientific publishing:
- the ethics of citing,
- structure and parts of scientific papters,
- evaluation of scientific achievement(impact factor, publication factor).
There will be practical tasks to be solved during the practicals and a short test at the end of the course.